Peter Fairbrother
11/20/11
Service Learning Week #7
This past week was our seventh visiting Shea High School. We discussed note taking. The thing that caught me most by surprise was how some of the students approached their note taking. There were some students who really knew what they were doing and had different strategies which I thought was truly impressive because it did not seem that any of them had any training in note taking. That was one difference between my school and Shea that really stood out. If the school does not prepare students how to benefit most from their classes then how can they expect them to excel. The thing that truly stood out at me were the students that said that they did not like taking notes and that they did not care about their notes. I do not understand how students plan to pass classes and then get into college if they do not care about their notes or take notes. The idea that they can just get in to a college without trying in high school shocked me. So when I heard this my EXPLORE! volunteers and I tried to stress the importance of good note taking and working hard to get into college. I hope that these themes and ideas got through to them but I do not know if they did.
No comments:
Post a Comment