Monday, November 7, 2011

Preparing for Interviews

Last week at Mount Pleasant our lesson topic was Health and Wellness which consisted of the students playing basketball as a way to have fun and relieve stress after school. Personally, I think if it was organized better it may have been more beneficial, but the students of EXPLORE were not even playing together because there were other students from the basketball team in the gym at the same time. This week's session was much more productive. The students were split into two groups and we talked about the interview process and discussed what not to do and what to do at an interview. I think we gave them a lot of helpful hints and they were able to think of a lot on their own. We worked one on one with the students and did mock interviews with them as if they were applying to college. A few of the students I worked with had some trouble taking it seriously, but we were able to get through it and I think it gave them an idea of what an interview would be like. One observation I made today was a connection to something we discussed in class this morning. In OSS, Rosalinda was encouraged by her friend to join SBU. Similarly, as we were walking into the EXPLORE classroom one of the students called to his friend down the hall and said, "I'm going to this program, you coming?". Something as simple as that could really encourage other students' peers to come to EXPLORE and get something out of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment