Sunday, November 13, 2011

Peter Fairbrother Week #6

Peter Fairbrother
11/13/11
Service Learning Week #6
This past week at service learning I got a new insight into the lives of the students at Shea High School that I had not seen before. This week we worked with the students on collegeboard.com. College Board is a very important website that for students who want to go to college. On it you can discover a lot of information about different colleges and you want to go to, you can sign up for standardized tests that you have to take as admissions requirements, and you can search for what type of college you want to go to and the search engine will find the college that match what you want in a college. This Tuesday we we having the students do their own personal college search. I sat in with one boy who new exactly what he wanted. He wanted to go to school in Massachusetts to become an architect. When the search was completed the University of Massachusetts Boston was one of his choices. He then wanted to find out home more in state tuition was and he told me he had already seen the campus and he liked it. I was shocked that this boy already knew about the college and seemed to have an interest in it. What shocked me even more was that he was thinking about the instate tuition because he is moving back to Boston. Based on all of our previous Shea experience I never would have guessed that a student would be this advanced in his college searching process. This just reminds me not to underestimate these students.

No comments:

Post a Comment