I have to say this has been my favorite week so far. The theme of the week was "self-responsibilty and autonomy". Most weeks we have something planned right up to the last minute. On Friday we started off having them fill out a worksheet about an activity they are apart of and what their responsibility is in that activity. That led to us talking about how you have to take responsibility for your own actions and in the end it is ultimately up to them if they want to get into college. Then for the rest of the time we talked about peer pressure and we let them ask us any questions they wanted to ask us about college. We were very honest with them and they seemed to really enjoy this time. I think this brought us all a lot closer and I think now they know that they can talk to us about anything and we will be straigh forward with them and we are there for them if they need someone to talk to. This is something that is very important to these students in urban schools and we have talked about it in class. It is very important that teachers make sure their students are comfortable around them and they know that they can talk to them at any time about anything that they need to talk about. Through service learning I am seeing how important this is first-hand and it is something that will make me a better teacher in the long run.
No comments:
Post a Comment