Wednesday, October 5, 2011

EXPLORE: Shea. Week 2.

Yesterday was the second time I visited Shea High School for SL through the EXPLORE program. As was previously stated by Grace and Rosie, there were a few new members this week. I agree that it appears some of the students are not aware of their own culture or the culture of their peers. I think that the incident of the students laughing at the student who said he was from Haiti could have been a teaching moment but I was caught off guard and didn't know what to say or do. The cite coordinator scolded the students for laughing but that did not teach them anything. After that situation I started thinking about possibly creating a lesson one week on learning more about the different culture each student has. Although these students are young it would be rewarding to see them demonstrate more cultural competence by the end of the semester.
In the group there is one boy (I will call him John for purposes of privacy)who appears to be very motivated and excited to be participating in the program. John just started 9th grade and on his application he stated he one day wants to be an engineer. He also stated that he hopes to stay motivated to achieve his goal throughout his high school experience and he hopes that we will help him to do this. For me, it is very encouraging to see a student like John have such high expectations and I hope that we will help him to learn more about the college life and culture and help him to reach his long term and more immediate goals so he can achieve success.

No comments:

Post a Comment