Monday, October 24, 2011

Mt. Pleasant Week 3

Today our topic for the lesson was "College Conversations". We began our session by doing an ice-breaker (2 truths and a lie) which was difficult to get through with the group as a whole due to student interruptions, joking around, and a few students who were being shy. Then our facilitator for the day explained the activity called "Agree or Disagree", which involved her stating a common myth about college and the students would have to go to one side of the room depending on if they agreed or disagreed about the statement. Some of the myths included: -I do not have to go to class and I can still do well in college -I have to be best friends with my roommates - The cafeteria food is going to be gross - I can party all the time and still do well in school - I have to join fraternities/sororities and/or clubs to make friends in college -My major will determine my future life etc. Once the students went to either side of the room we would ask why they agreed or disagreed, and the PC leaders would give their opinion based on college experiences. Some of the students didn't the activity easy, however, I do think it was successful in getting most of the students to think about some of these issues involving college life. Next, we broke up into groups of 5 with 2 PC leaders per group. In our groups we asked the students to come up with a question or fear they have regarding college and the PC leaders would do their best to answer honestly. Some of the concerns that came up in my group included majors, classes, partying, dorm life, extra-curricular activities, and how to balance all the work. I feel we had some good discussion in our small groups and it really gave our students insight about college life. I enjoyed working in smaller groups because I feel we are able to accomplish more rather than being one large group. In addition, students are less shy when it comes to only working with a few other students. I enjoyed the topic of "College Conversations" because it was easy to openly talk about and share my experiences with the students.

No comments:

Post a Comment