Tuesday, December 6, 2011

Final Week of EXPLORE! at Shea

As Carolyn previously stated, today was our last day at Shea for EXPLORE. We had an informal session and the guidance counselor and our CL brought in goodies for the students. I was disappointed in the fact that only five students showed up for the last session (although three of the boys could not come because they had basketball practice). The first week of EXPLORE we had twice as many students and the last few weeks it proved to be the same 5 or 6 students who showed up. The students asked a few questions about college and we had them write letters to their "future self" about why they wanted to attend college and how the EXPLORE program this year has helped them thus far. After we finished the letters we just talked to the EXPLORE students about their experience with the EXPLORE program. If I could make one recommendation for the improvement of the EXPLORE program it would be to add more structure. I believe that it should be an easy going environment in which the students feel comfortable speaking their minds and asking questions but often times the students were disruptive and it through off the conversation. I am happy I was able to participate in this experience at Shea and I hope that the students we worked with this semester continue to stay focused on college.

No comments:

Post a Comment